Sunday, April 5, 2009

Countdown to Wizard World / Chicago Comic Con - Part 1 (123 days to go)

Here we are, about 4 months out from Wizard World Chicago, or as they’re now calling it: Wizard World / Chicago Comic-Con (August 6-9 at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center). I’m going to start a regular series of updates including things I’m excited to see, hoping to pick up, or just interesting news that’s popped up about the Con. Click below for more:

The plan right now is that my extremely awesome wife and I will be attending the Con for a few days. She recommended this after attending last year, even though this falls on our wedding anniversary this year. We’ve made our reservations and will be staying at one of the hotels right near the Convention Center so we can come and go as we please.

We went last year for one day on Saturday and it was like full geek overload. So much to see, so much to do and so much to buy. We came home with tons of great swag and I’m looking forward to that again this year. I also got to meet Ethan VanSciver, Joseph Michael Linsner, and Gail Simone to name a few. I was impressed at how down to earth and approachable they all were. Gail Simone and my wife even had a lengthy conversation about their hair styles :-)

So far on the news front, here are the guests that I’m looking forward to and why :

Mark Millar (Guest of Honor): I’m probably not going to be trying to get into the Guest of Honor areas because, honestly, I really hate waiting in huge lines. I may bring a copy of Kick-Ass #1 for him to sign though…just in case :-)
JG Jones (Special Guest): Wanted is one of my favorite comics ever so I’m hoping to pick up a copy of the Wanted : Assassins Edition either before or at the con and get it autographed. I also may bring Final Crisis #1 for possible signing.
George Perez (Special Guest): Who doesn’t love George Perez? I think I have some older comics of his that would be fun to be autographed. I’ll have to look through the boxes and see what I have.
Matt Wagner (Special Guest): I have been a fan of Matt Wagner since I started in comics. I’ll definitely be bringing some of my Grendel books along for signing. Also, just the chance to meet one of my idols in comics and a huge influence on my own work.

I’ll be covering the event for the site here with photos and writeups of what is going on. I typically don’t go to the panels but I may because we’re there for the whole time. We’re also looking forward to the costumes and many, many vendors (Pendragon Costumes, you can expect another expensive visit from my wife). I’m starting to compile a short list of items that I’ll be trying to track down while attending. When some new info is announced I’ll update here. Can’t wait!

No comments: