Sunday, May 17, 2009

Comic Book Reviews 5/13/2009 - Part 2

Since I’m up ridiculously early on Sunday for some reason, and I don’t have to be at work for another 3 hours, I can hopefully finish up this week’s reviews. Did everyone read Part One of this week’s reviews? No?!?!! Well go do it now if you haven’t……go ahead, I’ll wait……OK, now we can continue. How about that Oracle huh? Yeah, I know, still horrible. Anyways, on to some better comics: Action Comics #877, Final Crisis Aftermath : Escape #1, and GI Joe : Cobra #3. Click below for the reviews :

Action Comics #877
Story by Greg Rucka
Art by Eddy Barrows and Ruy Jose

As I’m writing this review I just realized that this issue is still in my bag out in the car and I don’t feel like going out to get it. This issue was decent but not great. Chris Kent (aka Nightwing) brings the injured Flamebird to see Lois Lane after the fight with Ursa. Lois calls Dr. Light who attempts to heal Famebird with sunlight. Yawn.

The more interesting part of the issue comes when we go back into General Lane’s secret facility and realize that not only is he tracking Kryptonians, but all meta-humans. On his tracking screens are Dr. Light and Icon (newly re-introduced Milestone character) among others. A girl shows up who has tattoos on one side of her face and some special abilities but nothing more is said of her. I am very interested in getting to know what General Lane is doing and what his secret organization is all about.

Overall, not a bad issue but like I said before, not great.

Final Crisis Aftermath : Escape #1
Story by Ivan Brandon
Art by Marco Rudy

This was the only Final Crisis Aftermath book that I was really looking forward to for a few reasons: I like the Nemesis character and hopefully they keep him consistent with the way they have been developing him in the Wonder Woman title, and I felt that the whole Global Peace Agency sub-plot in Final Crisis was not developed enough and I really wanted more.

Well, here is that story and the beginning is…well…utterly batshit crazy. Tom Tresser, aka Nemesis, wakes up in a room with some Stepford Wives-esque nurses and then attempts to piece together what is happening to him with no reference of where he is. Come to think of it, Run! began with Human Flame waking up in a strange place, I’m curious to see if all of the Aftermath stories begin like that (except Ink, which I probably won’t be picking up).

As he runs through this oddly sterile facility he runs into some familiar characters like Rick Flagg and Count Werner Vertigo, whose powers have gone uncontrollable. Some unfamiliar characters like a woman named Chase and a faceless Global Peace Agency agent show up to confuse things as well. I’m not familiar with writer Ivan Brandon’s work but it has a Grant Morrison feel to it, which I know is not everyone’s cup of tea but I am enjoying it. Artist Marco Rudy, who was a fill-in artist on Final Crisis, does a creepy job of twisting the images to make you feel confined and uncomfortable, therefore stepping into Nemesis’ situation yourself. The last page makes me wonder where the hell they actually are but I am definitely in for the second issue when that comes out.

GI Joe : Cobra #3
Story by Christos Gage & Mike Costa
Art by Antonio Fuso

The continuing adventures of Chuckles, deep undercover operative for GI Joe who has infiltrated the as-yet-unnamed organization that we all know will become Cobra. This issue is utterly intense as Chuckles has to make the decision that all undercover agents fear…how far would you go to protect your identity and complete the mission.

Needless to say Chuckles crosses the line and it definitely helps him in continuing his mission. Three issues in and this book is still a fun read every month. I really appreciate the way they are slowly introducing characters and building a mystique around Cobra to show just how underground they actually are. We get our first reference to the big boss that is referred to as the Commander (can’t wait!) and the Chuckles character continues to burrow deeper and deeper into the Cobra terrorist hierarchy.

No comments: