Thursday, September 3, 2009

Warner announces Lobo Movie? PG-13????

Variety reports that Guy Ritchie has been signed to direct a film adaptation of DC Comics' super-violent Lobo character. What do I think? Click below for more.

First, here's the link to the full article :

Lobo Film Information

The only thing that interests me in this article is the fact that Guy Ritchie is attached. Two of his previous films (Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch) are among my favorite movies out there, and if anyone can pull together the ridiculousness of the Lobo character, it's Ritchie. Good job on the director WB.

The character description souds dead on. "In the film, he is a seven-foot tall, blue-skinned, indestructible and heavily muscled anti-hero who drives a pimped out motorcycle, and lands on Earth in search of four fugitives who are bent on wreaking havoc." We're still on track here as this is an accurate description for those that don't know him.

Now here's where we start going off track : "Lobo teams with a small town teenaged girl to stop the creatures." Why, why, why, why, why, why???? Why must there be a teenaged girl sidekick? Is Miley Cyrus or whatever new popular little future drug-addled teen star that important to the film? Come on, Warner.

Next is the point that really kills me : "WB is aiming for a PG-13 rating" . Seriously? Did anyone at Warner read a Lobo comic?? He killed everyone on his home planet.....for fun! That's why he's the last of the Czarnians!!

Obviously things can change during the creation of a film, but I have exactly zero interest in seeing a Lobo movie unless it has an R rating. I am so sick of dumbed-down comic adaptations for mass market release and I'm tired of companies pandering to the family-crowd. I understand that this particular demographic spends lots of money at the theater, and the 13 year old that's being forced to go to the theater while his parents take little sis to see a Disney movie needs something to watch, but it just doesn't fit this character at all.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against developing family films and I'm not against families (I happen to be a member of at least one), what I am against is movie studios trying to shoehorn a character who is defined by his violence, mock-swearing and all around brutal homicidal behavior into a PG-13 rating.

(Deep Breath) So what does everyone else think?

1 comment:

Heretic said...

I agree. Even though I hate Lobo, I think PG-13 is not a good rating for that sort of a character. I would it should verge on NC-17