Thursday, July 1, 2010

First Impressions - 6/30/2010

Yet another solid week for this comic enthusiast. Here are my first thoughts after reading these books in the order that I checked them out:



Green Lantern #55 – The Atrocitus and Lobo fight was awesome, really enjoyed the interaction between Hal, Sinestro and Carol, plus we get the bonus “Origin of RageKitty”…great issue!

Batman Beyond #1 – Great first issue. Unless this just tanks, I’m on board for the mini-series. The feel of the animated series, along with Terry McGinnis’ personality is handled very well in this book.

Action Comics #890 – Luthor is just plain awesome in this. His single-minded drive has shifted away from Superman a little and I can’t wait to see where it leads him.

Wonder Woman #600 – Best anniversary issue of DC’s Big 3, by far. Great stories, great creators (including George Perez & Amanda Conner!) and I’ll probably be picking up another copy just so I can cut out the amazing pin-ups. The new costume is not my favorite thing in the world, but I’m sure it will grow on me and it fits where this story seems to be heading. And honestly, how many times has Diana changed costumes only to revert back to the classic? We can all deal with this for now.

Flash #3 – I’m going to stretch my 3 issue trial period until the end of this first arc. There are some good twists and turns here and the story moves fast….as it should for the Fastest Man Alive :-)

Secret Avengers #2– Decent book, not sure if I’m going to keep it after the trial period though. It’s fun, but it’s missing something.

Atomic Robo : Revenge of the Vampire Dimension #4 – Three words : Undead. Thomas. Edison. That is all. Another hilarious installment of Atomic Robo. Why hasn’t anyone picked this up to be animated? It has Adult Swim written all over it.

Zombies VS Cheerleaders #1 – I’ll admit it, I totally picked this up based on the cover and title. How can you pass up that title? Haven’t read the whole thing yet but the dialog in the first section is pretty bad :-)

No comments: