Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Trip to Half-Price Books #1

So, it’s a nice sunny day today and my wife and I went to breaksfast….is it still breakfast at 11:00AM? Whatever. Anyway, she wanted to stop at JoAnn Fabrics on 76th Street to pick up items for a new sewing project and I decided to kill some time by rummaging around the large Half Price Books store in the same shopping center. We have three HPB in the area so I'll probably be making regular trips to them and I'll update what I dig up here. Click below to see what I picked up in the comic book section today:

These books are totally random purchases for different reasons, and I did rifle through the MANY comic book boxes and trade paperback sections at the store rather quickly.

Batman – The Dark Knight Falls : Part 4 of the Dark Knight Returns series from 1986. I have the full trade paperback of this but I picked up this particular issue because I’ve always loved the cover of a silhouetted Batman and Superman about to kick the crap out of each other. This was one of the first comic stories I ever picked up back when I got into this so it also has a certain sentimental value for me.

Who’s Who – The Definitive Guide to the DC Universe #9 : I love comics from the 80s, especially the art and the advertisements :-) This Who’s Who covers from Garn Daanuth (not sure who that is) to The Guardians of the Universe and also includes the Green Lanterns, Gentleman Ghost and Green Arrow. Classic fun.



Action Comics #812 : Part 1 of 2004’s Godfall storyline for Superman. I have the trade but I mainly picked this up for the sweet Michael Turner cover of Kal-el in his Kryptonian casual wear lounging against his very Akira-esque motorcycle.





Action Comics #817 : I also grabbed this just for the cover. Superman lies beaten on the griound and you can see Wonder Woman’s legs standing triumphantly in front of him wielding the Golden Lasso. Sexy.





Batman #497 : Part 11 of 1992 – 1993’s Knightfall storyline. Again, I have this trade but the cover is just too sweet. Bane breaks Batman’s back over his knee. Vicious and cool.





Superman – The Dark Side #3 : I picked up parts 1 & 2 of this Elseworlds story a few years back. Superman, instead of landing on Earth as a child, lands on Apokolips and is raised by the evil Darkseid. Good story, and now I can finally finish it :-)



Green Lantern / Silver Surfer – Unholy Alliances : This just sounds cool but will more than likely be disappointing. I miss the Marvel / DC crossovers and I wish they would go back to doing these at least once a year or so.





Superman / Batman #13 : The last part of Jeph Loeb and Michael Turner’s fantastic Supergirl story. Once again, I picked this up strictly for the cover art.







Superman – Lex 2000 : I love Lex Luthor, I’m trying to convince my wife that Lex is the only possible name for our future potential son, so I thought that this was a cool cover as well. Who knows, maybe one day it will hang in little Lex’s nursery :-)

No comments: