Sunday, September 20, 2009

Judging Books by the Cover - 9/10 & 9/16

A double-shot of covers for my double sized week. Without further Apu (oh, I've been zinged!)on to the covers :

Favorite Cover This Week (9/10):

Red Robin #4
Cover by Francis Manapul

Dynamic. This is an awesome shot of what is basically two brothers fighting each other. They just happen to be dressed like super-heroes. The other nice thing about this cover is that THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENS IN THE BOOK!! Not exactly the way it is portrayed here, but Red Robin does essentially best Batman.

Runner-Up :

Secret Six #13
Cover by Daniel Lu Visi

Intensity. That’s the one word that describes this cover. Everyone on it is pissed off and they’re all staring right at you.





Least Favorite Cover :

Blackest Night : Batman #2
Cover by Andy Kubert

The art is decent, but the layout is very Ghostbusters. Also, what are those things crawling up towards them? Because most of them are not Black Lanterns. Did some random werewolf like things get in on the Blackest Night event?



Favorite Cover This Week (9/16):

Batman & Robin #4
Cover by Frank Quitely

The Fight Against Crime Grows Up! Batman and Robin check out a larger than life billboard (or possibly electronic ad) of Red Hood and Scarlet. It gives a great impending feeling that trouble is coming and it’s big. Do not let this fool you though, the interior art could not be more different.

Runner-Up :

All Hail Megatron #15 (Cover B)
Cover by Daniel Lu Visi

Perceptor as DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man. Perceptor goes through a serious change in this issue and I love how this cover displays just how serious he is now after being “re-designed”.



Least Favorite Cover :

Blackest Night #3
Cover by Ivan Reis

This is a weird one. I don’t exactly dislike the cover here but what I do dislike is DC’s marketing of this issue. In every preview and solicit that I’ve seen for this issue, the cover that was shown was VanSciver’s Firestorm-centric cover. When I picked up my books, I hardly recognized the issue because there was a cover that I have never seen before. It’s not bad, just not the one I was looking for.

No comments: